Friday, February 10, 2012

Experimenting with Google Merchant Center


Google Merchant Center is one of the Google’s service to sell items online. When you search product on Google, on the left side you can choose “Everything”, “Images”, “Maps”… and there is a link for “Shopping”.  The listing that you post on Google Merchant Center becomes searchable on this link.  I thought that this is little more complicated than other Google services such as AdWords or Analytic, and it is suitable for people who sell many items online.  Since all I am selling right now is JapaneseShiroi Koibito Chocolate, this was a good experiment to try out.

Basically, I had to create a text file to feed into Google Merchant which can be created by excel.  The text file contain the information needed for the Google Merchant to display the information.

The instruction is available  here, but what I found out was that the information posted on this help page is not as helpful as other Google services.  For instance, there are so many videos on Google AdWords to help out on how to use their service, but I had hard time finding information to get the data.

I usually want to just get a sample text, and then modify to my need.  However, I was not able to find a sample file of such.  So if you are looking for a sample file, below is an excel file that I created to feed the data.   You just need to save the file as Tab Delimited.  I have included the tab delimited file format as well.   



Here is the official link for the feed Specification.

The hardest part is creating this feed. Once you have the file, you just need to login and click on “Data Feeds”.  Click on “New Data Feed” button and manually upload the file.  For a small file like mine takes about 10 minutes for them to process them.  Once the file is uploaded, the product must be approved by Google Team where you can see the status by clicking on “Product” link on the left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment